You have more than likely had an apple pie or two in your lifetime, but have you ever experienced caramel apple pie bombs? Appropriately named “bombs” because of the explosion of flavor in your mouth, you may have a little sensory overload when eating this amazing, warm dessert. Trust us when we say you will want to make these as often as possible. Not only are they are a great dessert for any holiday meal you have planned, they really make a great after-school snack too. And what kiddo isn’t going to like the delicious combination of apples, crust, and caramels? We can’t think of any!
- 12 canned, flaky biscuits, (uncooked)
- 2 medium apples (we like honey crisp)
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 30 vanilla caramels, unwrapped and divided
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1-4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9″x6″ casserole dish and set aside.
- Peel, core and dice apples. Place them in a medium size bowl.
- Add sugar and cinnamon. Toss to coat. Set aside.
- Unwrap and cut 18 caramels into quarters. Set aside.
- Lightly flour your countertop.
- Toss 1 piece of dough in flour and flatten and stretch like you are making a mini pizza. Stretch dough to about 3” across.
- Reserve 1/4 cup apple mixture. Add a tablespoon of apple and 6 of the cut caramel pieces. Pull the edges of the dough together to create a ball. You may have to crimp the edges to get them to seal.
- Place dough ball in prepared dish. Repeat until all apple pies are in the dish. Brush apple pies with melted butter. Sprinkle with reserved apple mixture, pecans, and brown sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the pies are no longer doughy.
- Meanwhile, place 12 remaining unwrapped caramels and cream in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until melted. Stop microwave and stir every 30 seconds. Once you have a smooth mixture, set aside to cool.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with caramel sauce. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you really want to go all out!