- 1 rasher of bacon, rind removed, diced (50g / 1.5 oz)
- 1-4 onion, finely diced (brown, white or yellow)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 6 slices white sandwich bread (fresh)
- 2 regular size eggs (or 3 small)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-3 cup cheese, grated (tasty, gruyere, cheddar – any good melting cheese)
- 2 teaspoons parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in small pan over high heat. Add onion and bacon and sauté until bacon is crisp – about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside (you can just leave it in the pan).
- Cut bread into rounds or just cut crusts off. I use a 800g/28oz tomato can (emptied and washed) – the perfect size to cut rounds to fit into muffin tins out of bread, pastry etc.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the bread.
- Lightly spray 6 muffin tin holes with oil spray, then press the bread into the muffin tin.
- Place in oven for 3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. The toast cups should not be browned, just a bit dry (like “toast”).
- Whisk together the egg, milk, parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Divide the bacon mixture between the 6 toast cups, then the cheese.
- Pour 2 1/2 Tablespoon of egg mixture into each cup, then immediately place in the oven. If you take too long between pouring the egg mixture into the toast cups and putting it in the oven, the egg will start soaking into the bread.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the top is lightly golden and the filling is set.
- Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes before serving. The filling will be puffed up but it will deflate while resting.
- Garnish with extra parsley if desired. Serve warm.
- This recipe does not work with stale bread because you cannot flatten it and when you try to mould it into the muffin tray, it will crumble. Trust me – I tried.
- The purpose of popping the toast cups into the oven for a few minutes is to dry the bread out a bit so it doesn’t soak up the egg mixture. The bread should not brown so it doesn’t matter if the oven is not quite up to 300°F when you put the toast cups in.