So you’ve got the savory but want some sweet? Add dried cranberries and your choice of peach, pineapple, or mango salsa to brighten up this meatball soup; then top with sliced green onions for bits of crunch.
- 1 egg or 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground pork
- 2 14 ounce can beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups cubed potatoes (2 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots (2 medium)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- For meatballs, in a medium bowl combine egg, uncooked rice, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in meat; mix well.
- Shape meat mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
- For soup, in a large saucepan combine broth, the water, and tomato paste. Bring to boiling.
- Add meatballs. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and rice is tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and onion to saucepan.
- Cook, covered, about 15 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in peas; heat through.