- 8 ounces round red potatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 pound beef flank steak, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 14 1/2 ounce can beef broth
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can golden or white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh poblano chile pepper, chopped*
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Sliced hot chile peppers (optional)
- In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker place potatoes and onion.
- Top with flank steak.
- In a medium bowl combine broth, hominy, undrained tomatoes, poblano pepper, chili powder, garlic, cumin, and salt. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high heat setting.
- Add cabbage.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Transfer meat to cutting board. Using two forks, pull meat into shreds. Shred beef and return to slow cooker.
- Serve topped with queso fresco, cilantro, and lime wedges