Hominy offers a pleasing corny flavor that complements the green chiles and tomatillos (in the salsa verde) in this classic New Mexican favorite. Serve with whole grain or corn tortillas for a satisfying supper.
- 2 15 1/2 ounce can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 16 ounce jar salsa verde
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 4 ounce can diced green chiles, undrained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 ounces pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Snipped fresh cilantro
- 6 6 whole grain tortillas, warmed
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine hominy, salsa, broth, chiles, onion, cumin, garlic, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Stir in meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
To serve, sprinkle each serving with cilantro. Serve with tortillas.