- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can Great Northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 ounces fresh tomatillos, husked and chopped, or two 11-ounce cans tomatillos, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Dairy sour cream (optional)
- Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 3/4-inch pieces. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook half of the meat in hot oil until brown; remove meat from skillet. Repeat with the remaining meat.
- Drain off fat.
- Transfer meat to a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in drained beans, tomatillos, onion, undrained chile peppers, garlic, cumin, and salt. Pour broth over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Stir in spinach and lime juice. If desired, top each serving with sour cream and/or cilantro.