The secret weapon in this addictive granola is, yes, olive oil, which gives the oats and coconut chips a wonderful crispy bite. Make sure to add the fruit after baking (putting it in the oven will dry it out), and feel free to improvise: swap out the apricots for dried cherries, the pistachios for walnuts, the cardamom for a little nutmeg. But double the batch. You won’t want to run out.
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups raw pistachios, hulled
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, hulled
- 1 cup coconut chips
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- Fresh ricotta, for serving (optional)
- Fresh berries, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, combine oats, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, coconut chips, maple syrup, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and well toasted.
- Transfer granola to a large bowl and add apricots, tossing to combine.
- Serve with ricotta and fruit, if desired.