- 6 medium red onions or sweet onions (such as Walla Walla), skin on, roots intact
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt (smoked is delicious here)
- Herbs-either a few bay leaves or a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Make a total of 4 vertical cuts in each onion to create 8 wedges still attached at the root end.
- Drizzle a little of the olive oil into a baking dish, then arrange onions root end down.
- Spoon remaining olive oil into and around onions.
- Sprinkle generously with salt, getting some into the center of the onions.
- Toss in herbs.
- Roast for 40 minutes.
- Rearrange onions so that their petals open, and drizzle with a few spoonfuls of the caramelized onion juices from the pan.
- Roast until onions are tender on the inside with crispy bits on their outer petals, about 20 minutes longer.
- Season with pepper and more salt to taste.
- Serve hot or at room temperature as a side dish, or as dinner with a good cheese and a green salad.