- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar.
- Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a greased 9-in.-square baking pan.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- For topping, combine butter and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Add coconut, pecans, corn syrup and milk; mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto warm brownies; spread evenly.
- Broil 6 in. from heat 2-4 minutes or until top is browned and bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
Yield: 16 brownies