Nourishing, comforting and cool, this soup will settle you down and warm your soul. With the last days of summer quickly drifting by, you can capture this season’s essence in this soup and savor it with each sip. I highly recommend visiting your local farmers’ market to procure the freshest and most flavorful zucchini since it is the main star of this soup. To add even more depth, top with a dollop of sour cream, croutons and fried onions for added crunch. Also, feel free to serve this soup warm if your summer isn’t feeling as sweltering as ours.
- 1 1/2 pounds of zucchini (about three large) largely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tablespoon of finely chopped fresh herbs (thyme, sage and many others work nicely)
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoon of cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- salt and pepper – to taste
- Heat oven to 425 F.
- Place diced squash, peeled garlic and herbs on a baking sheet. With your hands, mix in oil and distribute evenly. Arrange in a single layer – not crowding. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden hues appear.
- Place roasted zucchini, garlic and herbs in blender. Add your milk, lemon juice, cream and salt. Blend on high for about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with sour cream, croutons and/or fried onions.
- Serve cool, room temperature or warm.