- 3/4 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 pound yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet. Arrange zucchini and squash slices on rack; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Rinse well under cold water; pat dry with paper towels.
- Place zucchini, squash, and onion in a medium glass bowl.
- Combine remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup water, and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, and pour over vegetables. Weigh down vegetables with a plate. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Drain or serve with a slotted spoon.