Simple, healthy vegetarian breakfast tacos that are full of fresh flavor! You can make these “breakfast” tacos any time of day. I scrambled the eggs, but feel free to fry your eggs if you prefer. Recipe below yields around 6 tacos, depending on how much filling you put in each one.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into 2-inch long, thin strips
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced into 2-inch long, thin strips
- 1 red pepper, seeded, membranes removed and chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 6 eggs, scrambled
- Hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tomato or a handful of cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 6 small tortillas, corn or flour
- 1 Jalapeño, seeded, membranes removed and minced
- Feta, crumbled
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Hot sauce (like Cholula) and/or salsa (I like salsa verde for these)
To Make the Veggie Filling
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 teaspoons olive until shimmering.
- Add onions and a dash of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and turning translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes, stir, and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the squash is softened and cooked through but not mushy, about 7 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and squeeze the juice of ½ of a lime over the veggies.
- Season to taste with salt, stir to combine, then set the pan aside.
To Scramble the Eggs
- Scramble the eggs in a bowl with a few dashes of hot sauce, a sprinkling of black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Scramble over medium-low heat until the eggs are lightly set.
- Fold in the tomatoes and transfer the scrambled mixture to a bowl.
To Prepare the Tacos
- Warm each corn tortilla in a pan over medium heat, flipping occasionally.
- Transfer warmed tortillas to a plate and cover with a tea towel to keep them warm.
- Top each tortilla with scrambled eggs, followed by veggies, and garnish with a sprinkle of Jalapeño, feta and cilantro.
- Finish with a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce and/or salsa.