This is the launching pad for many recipes, and for many of additional experiments. Everyone should know how to make a Basic White Sauce. The Vitamix just makes it faster and easier. This makes about two cups of sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fat
- A of pinch nutmeg
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 6 minutes or until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
- At this point add any additions.
- This is based on a béchamel sauce. You should use a lower fat dairy or dairy substitute. I do not suggest using cream or even half and half. You don’t want to accidentally make butter! If all you have is cream dilute it with some other flavorful liquid.
- Again béchamel typically uses butter, but any fat should work. I usually use half butter half olive oil.
- At this point you can add additional ingredients for flavor – for a cheese sauce add up to 1 cup shredded cheese; for creamed “fill in the blank” add sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, spinach, diced chicken… the possibilities are endless.