- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces fresh lump crabmeat, picked
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup beer
- Vegetable oil
- Stir together cornmeal mix, flour, green onions, bell pepper, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in crabmeat, egg, and beer until just moistened. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 360°.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Serve with your favorite rémoulade or cocktail sauce.