This citrusy take on coleslaw is fresh and pleasantly spicy, making it an ideal side dish or burger or brat topping. Leave the seeds in more peppers for added fire, or seed all of them for a milder dish.
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (16-ounce) package cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
- 4 Jalapeño peppers, halved crosswise
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Gradually add olive oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Add onion, cilantro, and coleslaw.
- Thinly slice 1 Jalapeño half crosswise (keeping seeds), and remove seeds from remaining Jalapeño halves. Cut the remaining halves into thin crosswise slices.
- Add the Jalapeño to onion mixture, and toss well to coat.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour.