- 4 uncooked bacon slices, coarsely chopped
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 cups cooked Lady Peas
- 3/4 to 1 cup reserved cooking liquid from Lady Peas
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat 6 to 7 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in saucepan.
- Finely chop cooked bacon. Sauté shallots and garlic in hot drippings over medium heat 2 minutes or until tender.
- Process 3 cups peas and 3/4 cup reserved cooking liquid in a food processor until smooth.
- Add pureed pea mixture, remaining peas, salt, and pepper to shallot mixture.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, 8 minutes. (Do not boil.)
- Stir in up to 1/4 cup cooking liquid, 1 Tanlespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Spoon soup into 4 bowls, and top with bacon.