A tastier take on a creamy classic, this recipe takes tomato soup to the next level with fried okra and fresh basil. For a Southern twist, serve with Grilled Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 (35-oz.) cans Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes with basil
- 1 (32-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16-oz.) package frozen breaded cut okra
- Sauté onions in 2 Tanlespoons hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 9 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Process mixture with a handheld blender until smooth.
- Process basil, next 4 ingredients, 1/4 cup water, and remaining 2 Tablespoons oil in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Stir basil mixture, sugar, and pepper into soup.
- Cook 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Meanwhile, cook okra according to package directions. Serve with soup.