This updated tomato pie is served pizza-style on a puff pastry with a combination of feta and mozzarella cheese. An assortment of herbs along with colorful fresh tomatoes gives this tomato tart its wonderful flavor.
We used basil, dill, thyme, and parsley, but just about any combination of herbs that pair well with tomatoes–such as oregano and tarragon–would work.
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 3/4 lb.)
- 1/2 pt. assorted small tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (17.3-oz.) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (4-oz.) package crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped assorted fresh herbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400º. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, roll 1 pastry sheet into a 14-inch square on a lightly floured surface; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut 4 (12- x 1-inch) strips from remaining pastry sheet, and place strips along outer edges of pastry square, forming a border. Reserve remaining pastry for another use.
- Bake at 400º for 14 minutes or until browned.
- Sprinkle pastry with mozzarella cheese and next 3 ingredients. Top with tomatoes in a single layer. Sprinkle tomatoes with herbs and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt; drizzle with oil.
- Bake at 400º for 14 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.