- 1 pound loaf of French bread
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons pesto
- 4-6 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice bread into 3/4-inch slices, leaving just the bottom of the crust uncut to hold the loaf together.
- Move sliced bread to a piece of aluminum foil slightly longer than the loaf. (Don’t worry if you slice the bread all the way through; the foil will fix it.)
- Stir together the melted butter and pesto. With a basting brush, spread the butter mixture over the top and inside the slices of the loaf.
- Cut the cheese slices into pieces (fourths or smaller depending on the size of your cheese and bread), and slide a piece of cheese into each cut of the loaf.
- Crimp the foil to surround the bottom edge of the bread to hold it together and catch any delicious drips.
- Place directly on rack in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.