For the Chicken
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- Zest of one lime
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 – 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the Coconut-Peanut Sauce
- 1 (13-oz) can coconut milk (do not use low fat)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 2 limes
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even 1/2-inch thickness between two pieces of wax or parchment paper.
- Cut the breasts into 1-1/2″ pieces and set aside.
- Make the marinade by combining the soy sauce, dark brown sugar, lime zest, vegetable oil, garlic, curry powder, ginger, cardamom and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix until chicken is evenly coated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Make the sauce by whisking together the coconut milk, peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce and red curry paste in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer, then cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the fresh lime juice.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Meanwhile, thread the chicken pieces onto skewers.
- Grease the grill.
- Place the skewers on the grill and cook for about 10 minutes, turning once, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the chicken skewers with the Coconut-Peanut Sauce and lime wedges, if desired.