A good BBQ sauce can add a lot to your barbecue. It’s great for marinating your chicken and ribs; it’s an awesome dipping sauce for French fries and chicken nuggets; and it adds that extra oomph to pulled pork sandwiches. And making it at home can give any recipe that “home-made goodness” that you’re known for!
But did you know that you could add a rich sweetness to your BBQ sauce by using Dr. Pepper?! And it’s delicious too! The combination of this soda with brown sugar, maple syrup, and various spices blend together into a dark, yet sweet BBQ sauce that will have everyone asking how you made it! Try it out with pulled pork or with grilled chicken and become barbecue royalty!
- 1 can of Dr. Pepper (12 ounces)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Thai Fish Sauce*
- 1 teaspoon New Mexico Chili powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Pour Dr. Pepper into a medium sized saucepan with Worcestershire sauce, and apple cider vinegar.
- Cook at medium heat until it begins to boil.
- Lower heat and add maple syrup and ketchup. Stir ingredients together and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Finally, add the brown sugar, salt, chili powder, and garlic powder. Bring back to a boil, then lower heat, stir, and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Let cool and place in an airtight container. Refrigerate until read to use.
- 1 teaspoon salt can be substituted for the fish sauce
- Add more chili powder for a spicier sauce