- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (from 3 medium limes)
- 2 Tablespoons minced Jalapeño
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil; more for the grill
- 2 Tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Xanthium Gum
- 1 lb. flank steak, cut in half lengthwise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe mango, cut into medium dice
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces romaine lettuce, sliced crosswise 1 inch thick (about 9 cups)
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the lime juice, jalapeño, brown sugar, fish sauce, garlic, Xanthium gum and ginger in a small bowl.
- Whisk in both oils in a slow stream; set aside.
- Prepare a medium-high (400°F to 475°F) gas or charcoal grill fire.
- Pat the steak dry and season well with salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill grate and grill the steaks, turning once, until medium rare (135°F), about 6 minutes total.
- Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 5 minutes, and then thinly slice across the grain.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the mango, onion, lettuce, and 2 Tableyspoons of the cilantro.
- Toss with enough dressing to coat, divide the salad among 4 plates, and top with the steak.
- Drizzle the remaining dressing over the steak, sprinkle with the remaining cilantro, and serve.