- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 clove garlic; minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1-pound can (2 cups) tomatoes
- 2 6-ounce cans (1⅓ cups) tomato paste
- 16 pieces (about 16 ounces) Lasagna noodles
- 4 cups (2 pounds) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups (1 pound) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Teaspoons parsley flakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In large skillet, brown meat; drain. Add garlic, basil, oregano and salt cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste; simmer uncovered 33 minutes stirring occasionally
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Lay flat on foil to cool. Heat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Spread about ⅓ cup meat sauce on bottom of 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish.
- Arrange 4 pasta pieces lengthwise over sauce, overlapping edges. Spread one-third cheese mixture over pasta; spread with about ¾ cup meat sauce. Repeat layers TWICE, beginning and ending with pasta.
- Top with remaining meat sauce; sprinkle with remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove foil; bake about 10 minutes longer, or until lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. 10 to 12 servings.
MAKE AHEAD DIRECTIONS: Prepare as directed above. Do not bake. Cover baking dish tightly with plastic wrap, then foil. Freeze up to 2 months or refrigerate up to 24 hours. Remove foil and plastic wrap; replace foil. If frozen, bake at 350°F. 2 hours 15 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. If refrigerated, bake at 375°F. 50 to 60 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove foil; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.