- 4 large, thin (4 ounce) pieces round steak, pounded 1/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespons mustard
- 8 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 4 Gewürzgurke (a German pickle available at your local German Deli)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 12-ounce can beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Chop pickles (Gewürzgurke) into small pieces.
- Season both sides of the beef slices with salt and pepper. Spread 1 tablespoon of mustard onto the top side of a beef slice. Top this with 2 slices of bacon, some pickle pieces, and some onion pieces. Roll up the beef, making sure the filling gets tucked in as you roll. Tie the rouladen together with cooking-safe string or use toothpicks (or other kind of meat sticks) to hold the rouladen together. Repeat these steps for the remaining 3 slices of beef.
- Heat oil in a roasting pot. Briefly sear the rouladen so that the rouladen develops a nice brown outer crust. Add enough water so that the rouladen are covered. Add the bay leaf. Transfer the pot (lid on) to the oven. Allow meat to cook in the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours..
- Remove the meat rolls. Strain the broth mixture and return liquid to the skillet. Whisk together the cornstarch and 1 cup of water. Slowly pour the cornstarch slurry into the skillet, stirring continually until the sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Return rolls to the sauce; serve immediately.
Number of Servings: 4