Made with pumpkin puree, warm spices, and a handful of other ingredients, this creamy all-purpose spread is delicious on pancakes, muffins, and toasted bread.
- 4 cups Pumpkin Puree, or two 15-ounce cans pumpkin
- 1 1/4 cups pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped hazelnuts (optional)
- In 5-quart Dutch oven combine all ingredients except nuts. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, 25 minutes or until thick. (If mixture spatters, reduce heat to medium-low). Remove from heat; cool.
- Ladle into jars or freezer containers, leaving ½-inch headspace. Cover; store in refrigerator up to 1 week or freezer up to 6 months.
- To serve, top with chopped nuts.
Makes 4½ cups (36, two- tablespoon servings)