- 6 cups day-old French bread cubes (½ inch)
- 1 medium apple, peeled, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 13.4-ounce can Mexican caramel spread (dulce de leche)
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup thawed Cool Whip whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss bread and apples in large bowl; set aside. Place eggs, milk, dulce de leche and cream cheese in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Pour over bread mixture; toss to coat. Spoon into lightly greased 13-inch-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Bake 45 min. or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare peanut brittle, cook sugar in small nonstick skillet on medium-high heat until golden brown. Stir in peanuts. Pour onto foil-covered baking sheet. Carefully separate hot candy into individual peanuts with back of spoon. Cool completely.
- Serve pudding warm topped with the whipped topping and peanut brittle. Store leftover dessert in refrigerator.
Assemble pudding as directed; cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. When ready to serve, uncover and bake as directed.
Leaving the crust on bread gives bread pudding a golden brown color and a slight crunchiness. Some people prefer to remove the crust for a softer and smoother mouth feel. Both ways are delicious!