Tortilla chips are warmed in a spicy red sauce, and then topped with buttery eggs and fresh avocado-tomato salsa in this breakfast-meets-enchiladas dish.
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 small bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 10-ounce can purchased enchilada sauce
- 5 cups yellow corn tortilla chips
- 1 recipe Fresh Salsa, recipe below
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- Sour cream (optional)
- Farmers cheese (optional)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat; add half of the cilantro and half of the green onions (use remaining for Fresh Salsa). Cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in enchilada sauce; gently stir in chips. Cook and stir until chips are coated in sauce; reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, prepare Fresh Salsa.
- For scrambled eggs, in medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. In large skillet melt remaining 2 teaspoon butter over medium heat; add eggs. With spatula, lift and fold partially cooked egg mixture from edges to center so that the uncooked egg portion flows underneath. Continue for 4 to 5 minutes or until eggs are cooked through, but still glossy and moist. Remove from heat.
- To serve, slide chip mixture onto large platter. Top with eggs and Fresh Salsa. Serve with sour cream, cheese, and lime wedges.
Makes 4 servings.
Fresh Salsa: In bowl combine the reserved cilantro and green onions; 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved; 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped; 1 serrano pepper*, seeded and chopped; and the juice from half a lime. Cut remaining lime half into wedges for serving.
*Hot peppers contain oils that may burn skin and eyes. Wear plastic gloves. If using bare hands, wash well with soap and water.