This cozy spin on an Italian classic is hard to resist. Top each dessert with sweet cream cheese and whipped cream before serving for a special finishing touch.
- 1⅓ cups milk
- 1¼ cups whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 cups torn white bread slices (about 12 slices)
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Topper (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In large bowl stir together milk, whipping cream, and coffee crystals until coffee is dissolved. Reserve 1 tablespoon milk mixture; set aside.
- Stir eggs, the sugars, and vanilla into milk mixture. Stir in bread pieces until moistened. Evenly divide among eight ungreased 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups, filling each almost full. Place on a 15-inch-by-10-inch baking pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or until puffed, set, and a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack (puddings will fall slightly as they cool).
- In small bowl combine powdered sugar and reserved 1 tablespoon milk mixture; stir until smooth. Drizzle over bread pudding. Dollop with Cream Cheese Topper.
Makes 8 servings.
Cream Cheese Topper: In medium mixing bowl beat ¾ cup whipping cream; 1 ounce cream cheese, softened; and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar on medium until soft peaks form.
Makes about 1½ cups.