- 2 (¼-ounce ) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 cup (210g) shortening
- 1 cup (191g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 cups (750g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
- Combine yeast and 1 cup warm water in a 1-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine shortening, sugar and salt in a large bowl; stir in 1 cup boiling water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add eggs and yeast mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Gradually add flour, stirring until blended. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Pinch off one-third of dough.
- Cover and chill remaining dough up to 5 days, if desired.
- Roll dough to ¼-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut with a 2-inch round cutter. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Brush with melted butter. Let rise at room temperature 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.
Yield: 1½ dozen
Alternate: Shape into 1-inch balls; place 3 balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 400° For 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 3 dozen.
Cinnamon Rolls: Roll one-third of dough into a 14-inch-by-10-inch rectangle. Brush with ½ cup melted butter; sprinkle with ⅓ cup sugar and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Roll up, starting at a long end; cut crosswise into ¾-inch-thick slices. Place in 2 lightly greased 9-inch round cakepans. Let rise and bake as directed above. Stir together ½ cup powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons milk; drizzle glaze over warm rolls. Yield: about 1½ dozen.
Herb Rolls: Follow procedure for Cinnamon rolls, substituting 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh chives, chopped fresh basil, and chopped fresh rosemary for sugar and cinnamon. Omit powdered sugar glaze. Yield: about 1½ dozen.
Orange Rolls: Divide chill dough in half; roll each portion into a 12-inch-by10-inch rectangle. Combine 2½ cups sifted powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons grated orange rind, ¼ cup melted butter and 3 Tablespoons fresh orange juice; spread over rectangles. Starting with a long side,, roll up jellyroll fashion, pressing edges to seal. Cut longs into 1-inch slices, and place on a lightly greased 13-inch-by-9-inch pan. Let rise, and bake as directed. Cool slightly. Combine 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon grated orange rind and 2 to 3 Tablespoons fresh orange juice. Drizzle over warm rolls. Yeild: 2 dozen.