Cumin and salsa help spice up the typical, staid plate of scrambled eggs. To take this dish with you, wrap the eggs in a whole-wheat tortilla, and voila — you have a breakfast burrito.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ diced orange bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 thinly sliced scallion
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt
- Ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup shredded white cheddar (1 ounce)
- ¼ cup fresh prepared salsa
- ½ pitted and diced avocado
- 2 warmed according to package instructions whole-wheat flour tortillas (6-inch)
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add bell pepper and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add scallion, corn, and cumin and cook until scallion has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Wipe skillet with a paper towel; reserve skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and whites, ½ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper, and 2 teaspoons water until well combined. In reserved skillet, heat remaining teaspoon oil over medium. Add egg mixture and cook until bottom is set, 30 seconds. Gently stir with a spatula to bring cooked curds up from the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 1½ minutes. Stir in cheese and reserved vegetables. Serve with salsa, avocado, and tortillas.