These puff much like soufflés, so present to guests right out of the oven. Encourage them to hold off enjoying the desserts for five minutes while they cool slightly
- 8 buttermilk bread slices, crusts removed
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1¾ cups whipping cream
- Peanut Butter Streusel Topping
- Dark Caramel Sauce
- Garnish: powdered sugar
- Spread bread slices with peanut butter. Top 4 bread slices with bananas and remaining bread slices, peanut butter sides down, pressing firmly. Cut sandwiches into 1-inch pieces; place in 8 lightly greased 8-ouncs ramekins.
- Whisk together eggs and sugars; whisk in whipping cream. Gradually pour mixture over sandwich pieces in ramekins; sprinkle with Peanut Butter Streusel Topping. Place ramekins in a 15-inch-by-10-inch jelly-roll pan. Cover and chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Let puddings stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, set, and puffed. Serve warm with Dark Caramel Sauce. Garnish, if desired.
Yield: Makes 8 servings.
Peanut Butter Streusel Topping
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup chopped salted peanuts
- Stir together flour and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Cut in butter and peanut butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in peanuts.
Yield: Makes 1 cup
Dark Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cook sugar in a 3-qt. heavy saucepan over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar caramelizes, tilting and swirling pan to incorporate mixture.
- Stir in whipping cream. (Mixture will bubble and harden.) Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture melts and begins to boil (about 5 minutes).
- Quickly pour sauce into a bowl; stir in vanilla, and salt. Let cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or cool.
Yield: Makes 1½ cups
Note: To make ahead, cover and chill up to 3 weeks. To reheat, cook, uncovered, in a microwave-safe glass bowl at MEDIUM LOW (30% power) for 2 minutes or until warm, stirring once.