Makes great gifts jarred. Fill jars preferably wide-mouth with apple rings and hot flavored syrup, leaving ½ inch head space. Decorate with a ribbon around lid.
- 4 lbs firm tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 6-onunce package red cinnamon candies
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 Tablespoon peppercorn melange
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Soak apple slices in water and lemon juice.
- Combine sugar, water, cinnamon candy, vinegar, cloves, peppercorns, allspice and cinnamon stick in a 6 quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer 3 minutes , stirring constantly.
- Drain apples, add to hot syrup, and cook 5 minutes.