Breakfast casseroles are one of our all-time favorite brunch foods. Assemble this hearty dish the night before, and bake the next morning.
- 1 16-ounce Hawaiian bread loaf, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded Mexican four-cheese blend
- ½ pound bacon, cooked and crumbled (8 slices)
- 8 large eggs
- 2½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salsa or sliced fresh tomatoes
- Arrange bread cubes in a lightly greased 13-inch-by-9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over prepared dish; press down bread cubes with a spoon to allow bread to soak up liquid. Cover and chill 8 hours. Let stand 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until set and golden. Serve with salsa or sliced fresh tomatoes.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
Note: Hawaiian bread may be found in the deli section of supermarket. Ten to 12 white bread slices, cubed, may be substituted for Hawaiian bread.