- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- With an electric mixer on low speed, cream butter.
- Add cheese; mix well.
- Add flour and salt; mix well.
- Stir in nuts and cayenne pepper by hand.
- Divide dough in half, and roll into 2 logs, about 1½ inches in diameter.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour, and preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice chilled dough into ¼-inch slices and place on pan.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
Slice and bake one log of Cheddar Pecan Rounds to enjoy immediately, and freeze the second log for when unexpected guests drop in. You can bake a batch in less than 20 minutes.