- 1 butternut squash (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar; firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- White pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Quarter squash; scoop out seeds and stringy portion; pare and cut into 3/4 to 1 inch cubes (about 4 to 5 cups).
- In a medium saucepan bring squash and water to a boil; cover and cook rapidly until squash in tender (about 10 minutes).
- Drain and mash with butter, sugar, sea salt and pepper.
- Turn into an 8-inch pie plate.
- Sprinkle with pecans and maple syrup.
- Broil until pecans are lightly browned.