- 4½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (1½ ounces)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1½ sticks (¾ cup) unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening, cold, cut into small pieces
- ½ to ¾ cup ice water
- Put flour, cheese, salt, and pepper, in the bowl of a food processor; pulse several times to combine. Add butter and shortening; process until the mixture has the consistency of course crumbs, about 10 seconds. With the machine running, pour ice water through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream until the dough just holds together.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide dough in half, and form each piece into a flattened square. Wrap each piece of dough in plastic, and chill at least 1 hour or overnight before using.
Makes enough for one 9-inch lattice-topped square pie.